Monday 1 June 2009

Up the Lane

After the strange goings on along the walk yesterday, nothing else untoward or unearthly happened! Quite the opposite actually - a very country village afternoon.........
Yesterday I went up the lane to the Old Rectory.

It was the open garden day, a yearly event of which this is the first time I have been able to get there.

What a treat!
The house itself is just lovely and it is surrounded by the most wonderful gardens, and as far as I know this is the work of just one woman!

At every turn you are greeted with another glorious flower.


The garden is like a cottage garden but on a huge scale with wild flower meadows and a fantastic veggie patch.

Towards the back of the garden it suddenly opens out with a dazling display of flower beds full of lillies.


Just one of the benches around the garden where you can rest and get lost in your own thoughts or a good book!


I think my favourite place is the folly. I have seen this from afar in the winter when the trees have given up their cover and allow glimpses into this delightful place but seeing it up close you discover the foxgloves standing guard at the door, the dark red roses climbing up through the windows and the secret steps to the imaginary room within.

With tea and cake on the lawn in the sunshine with other folk from the village this was a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

I hope you all had a lovely weekend in the fab weather, Take care

Sarah x

2 comments:

  1. What gorgeous photos.

    There's a much deserved award for you over at my blog.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. such beautiful photos :-)

    Rose XXX

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I do read them all and sometimes I even reply, now that I have figured out how to! Thanks again, take care x